The Right Tools Make A Genealogy Search Easy
Your ancestors play a significant role on why you exist today. There are some individuals who give high regards to their ancestors which led to the birth of genealogy. Aside from paying respects to your ancestors because of who you are today, there are more advantages genealogy can bring into your life.
Interest and fun are the two most important key considerations why people are into genealogy search. With genealogy, you will be able identify which part of the country or even in the world you have relatives with. Moreover, you will also be able to know the specific meaning of the names of your relatives. Most importantly, it is with studying genealogy that will help you be familiar with the possible health conditions that may run in your family which you ancestors had before.
To be successful with your genealogy search, there are helpful tools which can aid you to find your ancestors.
By Word of Mouth
Story-telling from immediate family members and relatives is the most common step one undertakes when doing a genealogy search. Oral history is the appropriate term for this in genealogy studies.
The memories of an individual are evidences you can gather to track your lineage. Face-to-face interaction is not the only means of communication you can assume when doing oral history. You can also opt to send a letter by post indicating your motive. Phone interviews can also be done.
It is best to prepare a set of questions when doing an interview, may it be formal or informal, to avoid repetitions.
Through the Internet
With the advent of technology, you can now enjoy a hassle-free genealogy search through the internet. The internet offers different genealogy search website. You can choose from a paid or free service to help you with your search.
There are several information you can gather through the internet such as your ancestor’s surname. Different documents can also be obtained via the internet such as papers concerning your ancestor’s birth, marriage, and death. In some sites, the location and type of employment can also be viewed.
Through DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid)
DNA testing is a medical technology utilized to determine and establish proof of the existing relationship of one person to the other. There are two types of DNA testing which can be done to help you with your genealogy search:
1. Y-line Test – this type of DNA test is extremely helpful to genealogists due to its distinctive features. Y-chromosome is only present with male individuals which are passed on from father to son. Additionally, the said chromosome is the only chromosome that breaks out in the repeated rearrangement of the parental genes.
2. mtDNA Test – mtDNA Test is the short term for mitochondrial DNA test. This type of DNA test is also known as the “maternal lineage test.” The test determines if the individuals has the same maternal lineage.
DNA Testing is the common last resort option of those who study genealogy. You need to exhaust all the possibilities of knowing who’s who in your family line through oral history and via the internet.
|The Right Tools Make A Genealogy Search Easy|
- Breaking Through #1 Mexico Family Genealogy Research Challenge: Frustration « My Mexican Life
- Nas & Damian Marley – Distant Relatives Music Meeting at Digiwaxx (Video) | I Am Not A Rapper
- Free Virginia Marriage Records Online | Easy Genealogy
- Sentimental Sunday – Easter with the Ancestors « Finding Josephine